Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Grocery Store Melt-Down

This song is rocking my world right now. I bought the album a few days ago and started listening to it on the way to the grocery store, which turned out to be a mistake because I ended up a weeping, snotty mess in the parking lot of the Neighborhood Market. I'm not really a crier, so my first reaction when the tears start flowing is, "What's wrong with me?" which is not a question easily answered. 

I finally composed myself enough to go in the store, but the "what's wrong with me?" wouldn't go away. I pushed my cart through the aisles wondering why this song had affected me so much until finally, right there in front of the shampoo and conditioner, it hit me. Death. My heart was breaking over all the death and brokenness in the world and in my own life and the lives of people I love. 

Physical death. Emotional death. The death of hopes and dreams and relationships. Everything is broken and dying.

BUT (here's my favorite part of the song) Jesus trampled over death and calls us to... 

come awake, come awake
come and rise up from the grave.

And there's the hope. Even though we're surrounded by death, we can be alive. 

I don't know about you, but I want to be fully awake and alive. Even though it's Monday. :-)




P.S. My other favorite part is at 2:38. Gives me chills.

6 comments:

  1. I love this song too and I get chills when I listen to it. My grandmother just became a widow for the 2nd time last night and it's been breaking my heart. Her first husband, my granddaddy, died when she was in her 30's and had 5 kids. She's been married to this man for 15 years and lost him to cancer. I'm sure she has many questions for God about now. Anyways, thanks for sharing the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joy, I'm so sorry for your grandmother and for you. I'll be praying for your family, sweet friend. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Su. BTW the song you posted and this one have really been bringing me to my knees. When he begins to sing scripture something wells up in me that I haven't felt in a long time. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_6JQDsbtlM&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. You want to go for coffee soon and catch up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What day of the week is best for you?

    ReplyDelete